Thursday, June 17, 2010

Keeping a Small Business Alive

Well, it's been awhile since I posted anything, the BP Oil Spill has been quite a stall for my business plan. Instead of making shirts for local yachties, I have been forced to plan some new angles. Since I am located on the road to the beach at Dauphin Island, the dream of opening a storefront may never happen at this location.

Some money could be made in political tee shirts, that is a consideration, but I have started to focus on traveling to flea markets and fairs. I am particularly attracted to the idea of trying a Renaissance Faire. We have a camper and could load up everything and have a weekend booth pretty easily. I am scouring the web for schedules of upcoming faires and will choose one to be the guinea pig soon.

I thought I would make most of my goods well ahead of time, and then bring the printer and heat press and take photos in front of a clever painted backdrop and offer personalized items to the fair-goers.

Then there are some items that will be easy and cheap to offer. There are some cool inkjet printed balloons here (http://www.dyetrans.com/sublimation_blank_balloons.php). These are pretty nice, you actually print right on the balloons. They don't float, they have sticks. There are templates for all kinds of occasions and several are flowery and very suitable for the fairs. I plan to design some just for the kids. I can sell them for $6 and $8 and make a tidy margin for myself.

I have lots of ideas for other small things and a few big projects. Stay tuned and I will start posting my plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment