Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Halloweenies

Okay, now to turn my attention to which products I could sell for Halloween. I know how to get some great artwork, so let me start there.

If you google "Public Domain Pictures", you will get a nice list of websites that offer images that are free for any use without any problems. I have found many have great old picture postcards and antique greeting cards, so I just added "Halloween" to my query and I found a lovely site: Vintage Greeting Cards . These pictures are great ones to edit and update, plus you can import photos to make them personalized.

A note of caution here: images that are to be blown up need to be high resolution. the average dye sublimation printer profile will flag any image that is less than 95 dpi (dots per square inch). However, 95 is really low and a dpi of 200+ is to be preferred. There are programs like Genuine Fractals available to punch up smaller images, but there is only so much that can be done. Most digital decorators require photo quality or scanned images. Luckily, the vintage card sites offer high rez copies of the cards, so look for that.



Once I have some pictures to use, then I can decide which products to make. It seems to me that novelty tee shirts would be a great thing to offer. Since these will be worn in the fall, and hopefully sold in cooler climates, I am looking at sweatshirts and long sleeved tees. My favorite supplier is Conde Systems, I have been checking what they have to offer. The nicest shirts in their collection are the long sleeved micro performance Vapor shirts. I like the way they cling to your arms and fall in drapes, very sexy shirts. But, since I am working here on Halloween, I had to get some of the Safety Orange long sleeved shirts from the Basic collection. They are very "cotton-like" and I think my clients will like them. (Polyester is intrinsic to the dye sublimation process I use).

Here's my first creation, I hope you agree it is wonderful:





What did I do? I erased the background and added my own text. You really need Corel or PhotoShop for these, way too much for my budget, so I have PS Elements, much cheaper way to go! Want one? $15 each, plus shipping, just shoot me an email. bobbi@bobbicoker.com. Have a spooky day!

No comments:

Post a Comment